Let Us Speak Up for Children
It seems to me we do not have integrity when we work to honor the child and do not work to honor the teachers.
Most children on this planet do not experience an optimal childhood, one that enables each unique human being to become their best in the rest of their life: acting with kindness and compassion towards others, nourishing and maintaining their bodies, and being assertive stewards of the Earth. If we truly wish to restore our planet and make lasting social and economic changes, the children born today in less than adequate circumstances have to have the agency, ability, and creativity to act in concert against massive, entrenched forces.
This page On Sixteen Capabilities recognizes these realities and attempts to describe a specific, revolutionary policy of restoration, restitution, and love as a way to save the planet by investing in communities and trusting them to evolve what is best in their own ways.
We know the abuse of children leads to abusive cops. We know young moms and families have to have LOTS of social support and resources. We know children are raised by parents who pass on how they were raised. We know enhancing the lives of others includes taking on self-change and learning to love oneself. We know the energy and creativity of communities when they are allowed to have responsibility for each other. This is fundamental to being a human.
I think it’s time to think big. On Sixteen Capabilities is thinking big. I like to think of this plan as an economic extension of the womb to age six.
If you were a child in your own program, how would you want to be treated? The Foundation 15 is a summary of class constructions created by students at North Seattle College collected over a 6 year period. Their thoughts remind us of our challenge to feed the right wolf.
If you have those two tasks above, you can add this.
- BELONGING We ensure the perception of being included.
- WELL-BEING We offer an ethics of care for health in all its dimensions.
- RECIPROCITY We are becoming and changing in a passionate, compassionate, and aesthetic relationship with those whose lives we wish to enhance.
- PARTICIPATION We invite the participation of all into creating our possibility and defining our opportunity in spaces that are open and somewhat indefinite.
- JOY We playfully open up and take in to experience our relatedness.
- WHOLENESS We conceive of others as whole, capable human beings connected to others.
- TRUST We listen carefully to discover the ways of being of others as we stay truthful ourselves.